You are here : Recycling at home

Recycling at home

Recycling in West Sussex is easy. You can recycle lots of items by placing them in your recycling bin at home and they will be sorted and separated at the Ford Materials Recycling Facility (MRF). You can recycle other items by taking them to your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS).

Recycling at home.

Please place all items in your recycling bin:

CLEAN - free from food and drink leftovers
DRY - keep your recycling bin lid shut
LOOSE - no plastic bags

What can I put in my recycling bin?

For further information about the different materials that can go in your recycling bin, please click on the materials listed on the left hand side under 'Your Kerbside Collection'.

You can click here to download and print a handy list to stick on the fridge to remind you of what you can put in the recycling bin!

Why do I have to clean my items before putting them in the recycling bin?

All items placed in your recycling bin should be clean. A quick rinse will do. Items that have left over food or drink on them can ruin the quality of other recycling in your recycling bin. This can then spoil the rest of the other recycling in the recycling lorries and at the MRF. Items that are covered with leftover food and drink cannot be recycled.

Why does my recycling have to be kept dry?

It is important that your recycling is kept dry and your recycling bin lid kept closed to avoid rain getting in. All items placed in your recycling bin should be dry, ensuring that there is no wet paper, and that cans and bottles do not contain any liquid. If your recycling gets wet, the paper and cardboard will become soggy and cannot be recycled. Glass will also stick to the wet paper and cardboard resulting in these items not being recycled.

Also during the process at the MRF wet paper and cardboard will stick to the machinery and clog up the system.

Recycling and Rubbish Bin Collections -

If you have any enquiries about the collection of your recycling/rubbish bins or garden waste collection services in your area, please contact your local district or borough council for information. Please click here for contact details.