You are here : News > News

Flooding in West Sussex

Posted on 14 June 2012

Advice on rubbish and recycling following the recent floodings in West Sussex.

Below are some answers to some frequently asked questions about the disposal of rubbish after the recent flooding in West Sussex.

Please note all the Household Waste Recycling Sites (HWRS) in West Sussex are operating as normal.

Will our rubbish/recycling collections be affected as a result of the recent bad weather conditions?

For up to date information regarding collections, please contact your local district or borough council. Please clcik on the 'Contact Us' tab at the top of the page to view contact details for your local district or borough council.

If we're supposed to recycle items that are dry, what do we do with all the wet paper and card we have?

If your recycling gets wet, the paper and cardboard will become soggy and will not be able to be recycled. Please place all your wet paper and card in your rubbish bin. Wet paper and card will disrupt the sorting process at Ford Materials Recycling Facility (MRF) by sticking to the machinery. Glass will also stick the the wet paper and card, meaning the paper and card cannot be recycled.

How do I deal with hazardous waste items such as fluorescent tubes, car batteries, household and garden chemicals, gas bottles and engine oil that need disposing of?

Please handle these items with care and use protective equipment.

Hazardous waste items must be kept separate from other waste materials and not disposed of in your general rubbish collection.

These items can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS), where dedicated containers are available for their secure storage.

On arrival at a HWRS, please contact a member of staff, who can arrange for the appropriate storage of these items.

I have bulky items and carpets that have been destroyed by floods - what should I do?

Bulky items can be taken to your local HWRS. Where you have large quantities, please call the Contact Centre at West Sussex County Council on 01243 642106.

Electrical items - most of my electrcial appliances have been damaged by flood water, what should I do?

These items can be taken to your local HWRS to be placed in the designated recycling bins for recycling.

My house was flooded and I have items that are damaged beyond repair. What can I do with my items?

Most items can be taken to your local HWRS for disposal, but please note that where items have been damaged by flood water they may not be able to be recycled.

Please note: There is a 200kg weight limit at all sites for construction and demolition waste, this covers most DIY and building materials from your property. Gypsum waste (such as plaster and plasterboard) cannot be accepted at the following HWRS - East Grinstead, Midhurst, Littlehampton and Bognor Regis.

I will need to use or hire a large vehicle to transport my items, which sites can I use?

The HWRS have a 2.2m height restriction, however Burgess Hill, Chichester (Westhampnett), Crawley, East Grinstead and Worthing can accept oversize vehicles.


Wearing gloves while handling flood damaged items is advisable. If you have any questions or require further guidance, please call 01243 642106.