You are here : News > News

Prevent Waste Fires: Ensure barbecues are out cold before binning them

Posted on 2 July 2014

People are being encouraged to take care to ensure their disposable barbecues and coals are completely cool before throwing them away.

This follows several fires that have broken out in piles of rubbish in recent weeks, some of which are believed to be caused by still smouldering barbecues.

These were at a Household Waste and Recycling Site, in a dustcart, and at the recycling facility at Ford. Investigations are still underway.

Lionel Barnard, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services, said: “It’s worrying that residents are not ensuring their disposable barbecues are completely cold before putting them in the bin.

“It’s bad enough that these fires have happened at our waste sites and in vehicles carrying waste, but this could have happened at someone’s home.

“People must ensure the coals are completely cold before placing the used barbeque in the rubbish bin.”

Russ Ellcome, Viridor’s Operation Manager, added: “Fires at waste sites and in vehicles are extremely dangerous and put crew and site operatives at unnecessary risk.

“Whilst we want residents to enjoy the summer weather, the risk of a fire starting in the waste can be significantly reduced if people ensure their barbeques are out.”

Waste collection crews across West Sussex have been told to be vigilant for binned barbecues. But please help us avoid further fires and put yours out.

If you have a gas barbecue, your empty gas canisters must be disposed of at one of the Household Waste and Recycling Sites, not placed with your general household rubbish or recycling as they are explosive.